Sunday 22 March 2009

Top 5 tunes ever!

Song: Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Honeybear
Game: Resident Evil 5
DVD: High Fidelity

It's 4am in the morning and I cant get to sleep. So after watching High Fidelity for the 74th time, I decided to list my own top 5 songs of all time. It was actually harder than I thought, but finally did it at 5:45.

1. For Tomorrow - Blur
The first time I heard this song was in 1993, and from that moment, I knew it was something special. Its the song that got me into Blur, and I believe it to be one of the most influential indie tracks of all time. It will always remind me of my childhood, and 90's England. From the opening riff, its catchy chorus (The La La La...bit) to the Saxophone fade out at the end, Damon Albarn and Co have written the perfect song to represent the best of British Indie in the 90's. I will never get bored of this song and even shelled out £20 for the original vinyl release of this song, which was pretty hard to find.

2. Exitlude - The Killers
Even though this is probably just a sign off for the end of the Killers 2nd album, Sams Town, Its one of my favorites. It works really well as the last song on the album, a good end to something beautiful. Its one of the songs that represented the end of University for me, 'we hope, you enjoyed your stay, it's good to have you with us, even if its just for the day' When ever something is coming to an end, this song makes me look back at the good times I've had, it always brings a smile to my face.

3. Take The Long Road And Walk It - The Music
One of the most energetic songs I have ever danced to. Starts off with a space like fade in, before you hear the guitar riff slowly build up to what seems like preparation for an epic battle. Before you know it, the song kicks in, and the battle has begun, You try to contain yourself but inevitably you lose all self control and head to the mosh pit and throw yourself around like its the end of the world. This is a song that really does help give me energy to kick start the day or just get me motivated. Even after hours dancing around, when this songs comes on, I will find the energy from somewhere to keep dancing.

4. Moving - Supergrass
Another indie classic from the 90's. The reason I love this song is how at first listen, it feels like its going to be a slow ballad, but the ghostly voice of Gaz Coombs slowly lures you into something unknown, you feel something may happen, but not entirely sure. But once we're in that comfort zone where we're not really expecting anything much, The song jumps right out at you with a big surprise. The chorus is very powerful, with its aggressive piano, the dirty bass line and the anguish in Gaz's voice, there is a lot of passion in this song, whilst also keeping a funky beat to keep you 'moving'.

5. Get Ready - The Proclaimers
You may wonder why this is in my top 5, Well its because its an awesome song. The Proclaimers take on the classic Temptations hit, Get Ready. I first heard this in my favorite movie of all time, Dumb and Dumber, during the scene where Harry and Lloyd are travelling to Aspen in the dog van. Everytime I hear hear this song, it just makes me happy. Really catchy tune, with its 90's American rock influenced guitar riff. Its definitely a good road trip song, and has been played many times before during my random road trips I've taken.

There we go, now I should go to bed as the sky is now light...


2 comments:

  1. I dunno how you had the guts to attempt a top 5 songs ever, knowing me I'd write it, then think of 5 better songs and kick myself for not remembering them, like when Laura tells Rob he forgot about Let's Get It On and he looks upset.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew 2 of them for sure anyway, then the others, I spent a couple of hours going through my records (iTunes) and choosing them, I was bored, couldn't get to sleep, haha. But I know there are others that could probably get into the top 5.

    ReplyDelete